If you’re child has shown interest in being vegetarian or vegan don’t worry. Take a breath! It’s okay. You’re in safe hands with the Veggie Fairy.
In this modern age of google and instant cookbooks on Amazon: there isn’t a shortage of information. The trouble is sorting the essential from the nonessential.
Why Be Vegetarian Or Vegan
1. Google the phrase “why be vegan.” Of course you’ll get some haters out there telling you why it’s unsafe and you, your children, and everyone you know will die: but these claims are based on emotion rather than fact. A. It’s good for your body. B. It’s good for the environment. C. It’s obviously good for the animals.
Add more vegetables
2. Focus on what to add, not what to take away. Many people focus on the “not animal” rather than the “yes vegetables.” Almost everyone I’ve met gains weight when they become vegetarian: I believe it’s not only because they still eat potato chips like it’s a food group, but they end up eating bread and cheese as their main staples. They don’t have a predominant fruit and vegetable diet because they’re filling their craving for fat with white flour and dairy products. A craving for fat is good: go with it! Just choose plant sources such as unrefined coconut oil, hemp seeds, and flax seeds. But again: the bulk of your food should be unpackaged vegetables.
Read the Veggie Fairy
3. Read my blog. Okay- so I’m not a complete narcisist, but I am someone who’s been at it for over 13 years. I’ve read a sickening amount of diet books and cookbooks. I read cookbooks from cover to cover as well as all the major diet books. I read about the human body to no end: I’ve taken way more human biology classes than a non-doctor would ever require. But I’ve tried everything and have wittled down the good stuff for you. I’ll share my favorite recipes and cookbooks.
Try out vegan and vegetarian restaurants
4. Go to vegan restaurants. Though it may not be in your budget to eat out every night: if on special occasion you eat out at a veggie restaurant, find what your favorite foods are and recreate it at home. Google the recipe and you tube cooking instructions. The internet is our free university: though obviously not everything is accurate, trying new recipes is not the most risky behavior.
Drink Whole Green Juice
5. Switch your breakfast to a whole green juice to pack in as much goodness as possible as early in the day as possible. Found out how HERE
If all this free stuff doesn’t work for you, or you don’t have the time, I’m always happy to stop by and teach cooking lessons to you, your kids, or both. My illustrious educational career includes teaching preschool to becoming a credentialed high school arts teacher (and 6 subjects of adult school, if you must know.) I’m happy to teach any age, and make it fun, exciting, and easy. Just EMAIL ME to arrange an appointment!